Towards the end of September, Mainspring of Ephrata will wish Executive Director Kelly Withum farewell and well wishes as she enters retirement. Kelly will be focusing her time on caring for her mother, spending quality time with her grandchildren, and pursuing personal interests.
Kelly has been an integral part of the organization and the Ephrata community over the last 3 and a half years, assisting the organization through the transition of consolidation, strategic planning, and student engagement. In addition, during her time at Mainspring, Kelly worked on a variety of community-focused projects, including The Whistle Stop Plaza upgrades, the mural project, and the Ephrata Bike Park.
Kelly’s passion for her community is evident in her efforts to maintain and promote the beauty of Ephrata. “The community is on the cusp of extremely exciting times with the upcoming development of several major buildings and the new businesses they will attract; Ephrata is going to go through rapid growth in the next five years and will need a leader who guides the organization through the growth stage of revitalization” Kelly stated. While we are saddened to see Kelly go, we are eternally grateful for her contributions to cultivating the allure and charm of Ephrata. “The board and the community will miss her,” stated Bob Harter, Board President of Mainspring of Ephrata.
“I am going to miss all the people, the organizations we have partnered with, and the many volunteers who have shared much of their time to help Mainspring with its goal of creating a more vibrant Ephrata.” – Kelly Withum
Mainspring of Ephrata will be taking applications for the position of Executive Director. Information regarding the position will be included below. To receive additional information regarding the position, interested parties should send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mainspring of Ephrata is a non-profit community and economic development organization located within the Borough of Ephrata. We are looking for the ideal candidate to help us further improve the quality of life in our community through increased economic development. The Executive Director (ED) is a full-time, at-will employee who reports to Mainspring of Ephrata’s Board of Directors, a group of active volunteers representing the community, local business, and governmental entities.
Establishing and maintaining positive relationships with various entities is critical in fostering a vibrant, prosperous, and growing Ephrata through extraordinary community and economic development. The ED will serve as the “face” of Mainspring and partner with local businesses, government entities, residents, and visitors to implement our key four strategies of success: sustainability, community connection, economic development, and community identity. The ED works collaboratively with local and regional organizations to attract and facilitate new business opportunities within the Borough of Ephrata. The ED manages the day-to-day operations of Mainspring, including supervising the Mainspring’s full-time Administrator/Events Coordinator.
DUTIES OF THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR INCLUDE:
- Develop and implement strategic plans and operational projects, including long-range planning.
- Facilitate monthly board meetings and other committee meetings, as necessary. Ensure positive, productive communications between and among committees and the board.
- Manage all aspects of the organization’s administration and business processes, including record keeping and purchasing. Consult with the Board Treasurer when developing budgets.
- Engage in various financial development activities to identify opportunities to raise revenue to fund day-to-day operations and special projects and events. These can include grant writing, sponsorships, and soliciting donations from the community.
- Make presentations to local and regional boards, commissions, foundations, civic groups, and the public.
- Build and maintain relationships with the local community and civic organizations, corporate and small business partners, and foster good communication between these entities.
- Identify opportunities to support existing Ephrata businesses and cultivate and recruit new businesses and investors.
- Work with property owners to ensure consistency in architectural engineering planning for the development and preservation of properties.
- Emphasize the importance of aesthetically pleasing properties within the Central Business District.
- Organize, coordinate, and oversee volunteer programs related to Mainspring’s committee work.
- Shape and manage social media marketing and communications with the administrator’s assistance, contracted media marketing firm, volunteers, and interns from local educational institutions.
- Bachelor’s degree in community development, urban planning, historic preservation, nonprofit or public administration, marketing, or a related field preferred.
- Strong leadership capability and skills
- Proven experience in identifying and securing sustainable funding sources (e.g., grants, sponsorships)
- Ability to manage day-to-day business operations
- Strong relationship building experience and skills
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills
- A clear understanding of marketing and tourism
- Ability to accommodate flexible scheduling, including evenings and weekends, as necessary
- Ability to work independently, as well as with a diverse group of stakeholders
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to “multi-task” and keep several initiatives moving forward, concurrently
- Knowledge of basic accounting and standard office software packages, including the Microsoft Office Suite, Google applications, Adobe Creative Suite, and QuickBooks
- Ability to lift 30 lbs., walk up and down stairs, and stand or sit for long periods
- Salary commensurate with experience, competitive benefits offered.
- This is an exempt position, as defined by the Fair Labor Standards Act. Therefore, the ED is not entitled to overtime or compensatory pay.
- Training and attendance at professional conferences and meetings are recommended for continual education in related fields.
Interested applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, and three references to the Search Committee at Rtharter@gmail.com. The cover letter must include an answer to the question: “Tell us what your vision for Ephrata is.” Applications are being accepted until the position is filled.
Mainspring of Ephrata is an equal opportunity employer.